There are calls from many quarters to reform higher education and make it more accessible, affordable, and relevant in the dynamic, global economy of the 21st century. A recent study produced jointly by the Lumina Foundation and Gallup reinforces this theme. The study reports the results from both a general poll of public opinion and a targeted survey of U.S. business leaders. The findings provide some interesting perspectives on many of the critical issues currently facing higher education:
- The importance of having a post-secondary degree or credential.
- How well prepared graduates are to succeed in the workforce and meet employer needs.
- The quality of online degree programs relative to traditional ones.
- Employer preferences for hiring candidates with degrees from online institutions.
- The relative importance of where a candidate went to school versus the knowledge and skills she or he possesses.
- The affordability of higher education.
- Rising student loan debt for undergraduates.
To access the full report, click here.